Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Parenting Ups And Downs
1. School has started again and we are trying to get ourselves back into some sort of a routine. I decided, foolishly, that we would eliminate Jack's pacifier on the first day of school. Since Joe was gone and I thought it would be easier once we were on a routine...nope. It was a mistake and so hard. We had a grueling first week at trying and I think since then I have caved about three times since. It is for my sanity! I keep telling him though, that when he turns two years old that it will mean no more pacifier at all (not even at bed time). I just know that is going to be so hard. Seriously, why didn't I get rid of it at 6 months?
2. Ella has learned how to pull up on furniture. This is great and super exciting to think that it won't be long before she starts to walk, but she still doesn't know how to get back down. So even though she gets better at it every day, we still have a baby that falls and bumps her head at least once or twice a day. This has been the hardest in her learning process and let me tell you, that girl can scream when she wants to.
3. Jack has really bonded with daddy lately. It might be a developmental stage, but he seriously loves spending time with Joe. He wants to do everything with Joe. I'm not good enough to feed him, snuggle him, or put him to bed. Jack also entered the phase of crying when daddy leaves for work. He truly misses him when he is gone. It has also made it hard to do the bed time routine, because I know he just wants daddy to do it and usually Joe is tired or out late climbing. I must admit that I have let him stay up a little late recently just so he could see his daddy and give him a night time kiss.
2. Ella is an amazing eater. She has really taken to solid foods well. I don't remember it being so easy with Jack. I don't know if he was picky or if I just didn't give him enough early on. She just does well. There is very little mess and she pretty much likes any food that she tries. It is nice to eat as a family lately. I guess that just means it is time to buy her a high chair too. She is also a good sleeper and we are starting to hit a phase where I can just put her in the crib and she goes to sleep. Hooray!
3. Jack is learning new words everyday. In fact I almost have to be careful what I say. Yesterday he mimicked me after I said, "oh man" while changing a poopy diaper. It really does make you laugh to hear your kids use the same tone. I love that silly kid! Honestly as hard as the toddler years can be, they are so much fun too. He is very proud of himself to learn new things and gets so excited. I have attached a few pictures from our recent family outting at the lake. We rented some standup paddle boards (which are awesome) and he enjoyed the ride. A lot. Maybe he needs one for himself soon...
There is a reason why bubbo seats are being recalled to add a strap...watch this video to see what I mean!